As Vic was making these energy balls for her Father’s Birthday, she thought it wise to share the recipe with you all too. Her Dad is a big fan of coffee and walnut cake, so these are inspired by that traditional cake recipe. The good news is there’s no added sugar, and no flour, which makes them a great alternative for gluten and wheat allergies.
Here’s how to make the Coffee and Walnut One:
40-50g chopped walnuts on a plate
Time to mix those ingredients:
- Weigh out the walnuts and put into a food processor.
- Blitz until it forms a nice crumb and turn out into a mixing bowl.
- Do the same with the dried dates and add to the bowl.
- Add the maca powder to the mixture.
- Boil the kettle and make up the coffee, add 1cm of water to the cup, with 1 teaspoon of your favourite instant coffee and stir.
- Add the coffee to the mixture, along with the maple syrup, ground almonds and chia seeds.
- Take a heaped teaspoon of mixture each time, and squeeze to form a ball, and then roll to make it well rounded.
- Roll each newly formed ball in the chopped walnuts and put into an airtight container, then chill the energy balls in the fridge for 10 minutes.